Monday, November 8, 2010

Larissa's 1st Lunar Birthday!

Time really flies. It feels like it was only yesterday that I had Larissa and she is already turning one year old. Saturday was her first lunar birthday and I think she somehow knew coz she woke up for 5 night feeds in the night and was up by 6.50am. I was so tired that day!


In Chinese traditions, on baby's first lunar birthday, we are supposed to make a meal of mee sua*, chicken drumstick and egg for the baby (Actually not only on the first birthday but on every birthday). So, on this very day, I made mee sua for her lunch. Do note that mee sua is salty on its own so to feed a baby, you have to first boil it, rinse it in cold water then boil it again to remove the salt.

*Misua (also spelled mee sua or miswa) is a very thin variety of salted Chinese noodles made from wheat flour. It is originated from Fujian, China. They differ from mifen (rice vermicelli) and cellophane noodles in that the latter two are made from rice and mung beans, respectively, and typically a lot thinner than those two varieties.


There is also a tradition of letting babies pick the items. It is believed that the item baby picks will signify what baby's future career/life will be like. I was told by my mom to place 4 items for baby to pick. The four items are calculator, money, chicken drumstick and pen.


Guess what did Larissa pick? Watch the video to know. 



This is also the day that Larissa has the outdoor photo shoot taken by Amanda at the Esplanade. Shooting babies is not an easy task and I am thankful that Amanda actually volunteered to shoot Larissa. I would love to bring Larissa to have a studio shoot but due to budget constrains, I decided that an outdoor shoot would be good enough. More ever, this is a shoot that is full of love and definitely better than a shoot in the studio. 


Please pardon the fat me in the photos. Sighs, I really should start my diet soon. Anyway, Larissa kept sticking her tongue out during the shoot coz she was teething and it was uncomfortable. She was also cranky throughout the shoot so she didn't really smile.


Now, I am itching to get a DSLR so that I can do my own shoots for Larissa. Grrr.....




















After the shoot, I had dinner with Amanda and a very cranky baby. My sister in law was holding her 21st birthday at Goodwood Park Hotel and I cabbed over there. They all love Larissa so I guess the best present that I can give her is to bring Larissa over. And yes, she was elated that Larissa was there but I had to leave early as Larissa was really too cranky and I can't let her sleep there as they will be playing throughout the night and probably wake Larissa. I have not gotten the photos from the birthday party. I will update once I get them. 

No comments: