Saturday, November 21, 2009

Labour

I've given birth on 17.11.2009!

I was having contractions the whole day that day and at about 9.30pm, my contractions were coming at intervals of 15 mins. Hubby was soon on his way in a cab from Sembawang to Toa Payoh. I felt bad coz he had only left for home at about 8 and he had reached home for only a while before I called him to tell him that I had to go to the hospital. Waste of the cabfare....

Everything was alright at first. I changes into the hospital gown, gave them my urine sample and soon, was lying in the observation room and strapped onto the CTG to monitor my contractions and baby's heartbeat while hubby went to do the admission for me. I was officially admissioned into Thomson Medical Centre at 11pm.

There was another lady in the observation and her moanings scared me. She was moaning and almost screaming. I could hear her hitting her hand against the bed railings. My hubby also got a little spooked by the lady. I was telling him that the same thing will be happening to me in a while. LOL

The nurse did a check on me and I was only almost 3cm dilated. Normally, being a first labour, this would mean having quite some time to go before going into active labour. Not for me though.

After an hour or so, the pain got a little unbearable and I asked for the laughing gas. After the first few puffs, I was numbed. It felt good. I blanked out and couldn't feel the pain. So I got though most of the pain in a high.

Soon, the nurses told me there was an empty delivery suite and that they are going to wheel me in there. I got out of bed and went to the toilet to pee - amazing that I was so spaced out and could still walk. Got back onto the bed and was wheeled into the delivery suite. The moment I was wheeled into the delivery suite, I had intense labour pain that the gas couldn't help. The nurse was telling me that she thinks I need something stronger like the jab in the thigh or the epidural but I refused. I inhaled deeper on the gas and tried not to think of the pain.

The pain was so intense that when it came, I couldn't help but cry. I was crying and almost screaming to my hubby, telling him that its very very painful. My hubby felt helpless at that point of time. All that he could do was ask if I want the epidural. He told me to take it if I really can't take the pain. Scream and cry as I might, I insisted on no epidural....Until I couldn't take it anymore. I asked my hubby to call for the nurse and ask for epidural as it was only about 1.30am and I thought I still have a long way to go before I am fully dilated.

The operating theatre nurse did a vaginal examination on me and I was already 8cm dilated! It was amazing! I was told that I can't be more than 5cm dilated before I was wheeled into the delivery suite and here I was, almost ready to go into full labour.  I cannot be given the epidural anymore as I was too far into my labour. That explains the intense pain I was going through...My contractions were so intense that I was close to fully dilated in less than 3 hours' time.

Next thing I had to do was to wait for gynae's arrival. While waiting for him, I had the feeling to push and I was telling the nurse that I had to push but the nurse told me not to, in case I tore my vagina. I was like, "huh? then what?" She put my left down from the stirrups and told me to push gently but I had the urge to put my legs up on the stirrups, give one big push for baby to come out. lol

My gynae finally arrived. He was surprised that I'm going into labour so soon as he had just examined me in the afternoon and did not expect me until maybe Wednesday. Somehow, the contractions ceased the moment he burst my waterbag and I was chatting with him...until the contractions came again.

I remember I gave about 4 pushes and baby was out already.




She, Larissa Luo, is my everything. I love her with all my heart and soul.

No comments: