Monday, May 9, 2011

The End of An Era?

I was there at Block 136 Potong Pasir Ave 1 on Saturday night itself when the results were being announced. Although I felt unwell, I felt that I had to go. This is the town of my hero, I want to be there to celebrate his or rather, his wife's win. I already knew that he had lost Bishan-Toa Payoh to Wong Kan Seng, I wanted to be there to show support.

I reached there at about 2.15am, after I have fed my girl and made sure that she will not be up until I'm back. As I was walking towards the coffeeshop, I can see people gathering and the results are being announced. Sadly, Mrs Chiam had lost Potong Pasir to Seetoh by a slight margin of 0.7% which is about 110 votes! The crowd started jeering at Seetoh and then they cheered for Mr Chiam. All you can hear is, "Potong Pasir, Chiam See Tong!"

We waited for the Singapore People's Party to make their way back to Potong Pasir. As they arrived, people crowded around their lorry and cheered for them. Shouts of, "Kelong" can be heard as they do not accept the fact. A man who has done his all for Potong Pasir for 27 years, one cannot believe he would be let down like that.






Mr. Chiam sat in the front passenger seat of the lorry quietly with his daughter while Mrs. Chiam addressed the media and the crowd. I walked to the front and his window was winded down, giving me a chance to shake his hand and I told him my whole family voted for him and we loved him. I couldn't help but start tearing at the moment. He was so quiet, you can feel how heartbroken he was. Even as I'm typing this, tears come to my eyes when I think of what I saw that night. 

Look at the crowd!



The atmosphere was electrifying! Everyone was shouting for Chiam See Tong and Lina Chiam. None of us can believe that they had lost their stronghold of Potong Pasir. After 27 years, is this how they repaid Mr. Chiam for his effort? Sighs. I have friends who live in Potong Pasir and she asked me why should she vote for Potong Pasir when the place is so run down and that there is no facilities. I guess the carrot dangled to Potong Pasir has finally worked. However, I proceeded to explain to her what Mr. Chiam has done for Potong Pasir and the obstacles that he met. Another apathetic youth who only cares for upgrading. Sighs. 

A Potong Pasir resident, Vas, decided that she is not going to take this without a fight and decided to ask the residents to gather at Blk 108 Potong Pasir on 8th May, 4pm to sign a petition so as to get a by election, a re-vote and so I decided that I will go down on the 8th to support the petition.

I stayed until Mrs.Chiam left at about 4am before making my way home with tears in my eyes. 

1 comment:

katongite said...

Messing around and reading up on Chiam See Tong etc. and stumbled on your blog. I am impressed with the directness and honesty of your writing and touched by your struggles and emotions expressed in your entries. Your baby is lucky to have you for a mum.