Tuesday, April 19, 2011

We're Going to The Zoo, Zoo, Zoo!

18th April marks the day my ah lao turns 27 and to celebrate this day, I brought him to the Singapore Zoo!

Though Larissa and myself woke up early to prepare for our outing, it was dampened by a morning rain. We had to wait for the rain to stop before we headed out. The rain stopped at only about 10.30am and by the time by ah lao got ready, we only reached the zoo at 1pm.

Here we are, camwhoring in the cab on the way to our destination

Look alike? No?

I didnt really bother to take pictures right in front of the Zoo entrance. Damn malu leh. As if I'm a tourist leh. LOL.

Entrance was $20 per pax for admission and $5 tram rides. Larissa gets free admission as she is below 2. I'm damn stupid, paid $5 extra for the tram rides but I did not get on a single tram ride. I walk the whole journey! LOL!

Oh, and we rented a little cart at $18 for Larissa. Never Ever count on the Zoo for strollers. If you need a stroller in case your baby needs to nap, please bring your own stroller. I was there on a Monday afternoon and they have ran out of strollers already so try to imagine going there on a weekend.


Warning! This is gonna be a photo heavy post! Here goes the photos



The Cotton-Top Tamin - one of the world's most endangered primate species













Giant Turtle

Many giant turtles. heehee...



Larissa watching the turtles. 


Proboscis Monkey

Otters



The Greater Flamingo



White Handed Gibbon. Looks like its wearing a pair of gloves.











Orang Utans






This huge orang utan was lying at the corner of the glass enclosure



Larissa rides the huge turtle

Komodo Dragon

I think this is called the horned lizard


This huge dragon is about 2 meters long. Just seeing one is not scary but imagine having 10 of them coming after you. Do note, they are pretty quick on their feet and the bacteria in their saliva is enough to kill you or at least wound you so badly you can't walk. However, they are now an endangered species and can most be found on Komodo Island.

Cute little Ground Squirrels











The croc in the photo is at least 3 meters long! I wonder why they put the turtle in the enclosure with the croc.  I am very sure I have seen documentries where the croc will eat the turtle. Hmmm...maybe the croc is very well fed?



The Sun Bear

One of the smallest species of bear, it can be recognized by the U-shaped yellow marking on its chest.





Penquin
Manatees
I have previously thought that manatees are small creatures about the size of a medium dog. Never have I thought that they are huge animals! They are about 2 meters in length and very very fat! lol. No wonder they say what is see on TV is always smaller than its real size.




The Asian Elephant
The Asian Elephant is smaller than the African Elephant. You can easily differentiate the elephants by their ears. As you can see above, the Asian elephant has got small ears, the African elephant, on the other hand, has got huge ears like fans like the picture below.


Both elephants, however, are endangered. 



 
A Falabella. 

There are two types of horses on display in the Zoo at the Kidzworld, the pony and the Falabella. The bigger one that I did not take picture of, is the pony, which one will easily mistaken it for a horse. It is about our height and looks like a horse, if you have seen an adult horse before you will know that it is a pony. 

And the one in the above picture, is the Falabella. Very nice name for a horse aye?



Pls pardon my fat body. 



 


\


Chimpanzees








After roaming for a while, we walked into this area where the animals are free roaming.










This bird was just right at my feet.

So are these ducks, right at my feet.

Free roaming lemurs!

I don't know what is this called. It was also free roaming and it just sat there. I wanted to touch it but decided not too.

These bats are huge! Their wingspan is at least 50 cm!







The lioness


 When we got to the lions, Larissa fell asleep in her little trolley. As it did not have any support, she almost fell a few times, thus we decided to head home.

As Larissa is still very young, she is unable to understand much of the knowledge I would love to impart to her. I will bring her again when she is older and teach her all that I know.


Last shot at the zoo
 And finally, camwhore shots in the cab on our way home.







One afterthought I had after visiting the zoo is how wonderful it would be if we are able to see these animals in the wild. I feel kinda sad for these animals, if we were able to protect their habitat, they can live in the wild. 
Let do our part to save the environment.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looking good mummy!! so is larissa! so cute!

Ivy said...

Thanks for the compliment!